Friday, September 22, 2006

Fiber Friday 9/22/06

My first beaded yarn!

Can you see the little seed beads? I strung them onto a strong thread and then plied it with yarn I already spun, so technically it's a three-ply.

The whole process was very time consuming and managing the thread with the beads was a challenge. But of course, I plan on doing it again!

I didn't know how to space the beads so there are a lot at one end and kind of sparse at the other. This might make it interesting when knit, I hope. At least, that's the attitude I'm taking regarding this mistake.

6 comments:

Wendy Stackhouse said...

You're way ahead of me. I still haven't done a novelty yarn more complicated than a slubby single. Maybe this week, though, in my practicing. I'm going to try to make up some interesting batts this weekend, mohair, angora, mohair locks, to play around with. Next week is all spinning, all the time. Except for all the other stuff!

Brewer said...

The yarn looks great!

the kids and I once had fun here plying in bits of ribbon and feathers. so much fun, even if the roving was the nastiest stuff I'd ever touched and ended up throwing it out (yes it was that gross). I keep telling the kids that we'll do it again sometime. Might have to be soon.

AR said...

That looks like fun! I bet it will really be neat all knit up.

BEESTLYproducts said...

AMAZING!!!

Nano said...

That looks beautiful. The bead spacing will probably end up looking good. Whenever I do something out of the ordinary, regardless of results, I always go back and admire my work. You'll like it I'm sure. I've got the spinning itch, but haven't tried it yet. Soon, yeah.. soon.

Anonymous said...

Soo cool. I can't wait to see how that knits up!