Wednesday, February 22, 2012

This day in 1963

I was just now sitting around knitting (what else?) and thinking about the date today.

I like numbers and patterns, and when numbers fall into certain patterns, I feel a deep sense of peace in my brain.

Today is 2-22-2012 - I actually kind of hate this number. The year messes it up. I do like 2-22 on it's own though, a LOT.

So, I searched around for pictures taken on this date that might somehow convey what I feel when numbers align... I think I found it!

Here is a cool picture from February 22, 1963:


USS Woodrow Wilson Launching Ceremony
USS Woodrow Wilson Launching Ceremony

You are looking at a bottle of champagne exploding on the exterior of a huge plane. The woman smashing the bottle seems pleased despite the mess. I don't know who you are but if you are like me you don't get asked to smash champagne bottles on things often enough.

Let this moment remind us of the possibilities in life. Sometimes numbers line up nicely. There is always a new beginning filled with potential somewhere. Just take that bottle and smash it!

2 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I wonder how hard you have to bash that bottle to make it explode? I wonder why more people aren't showered by broken shards? Is it like when you saber open a bottle (my son Ryan is really good at this) and all the pressure makes it fly away from you? Only one way to find out, I suppose. Bring it on!

Anonymous said...

The young lady was Miss Eleanor Axson Sayre, granddaughter of President Woodrow Wilson